Zimbabwe: Ekusileni Hospital Reopening Major Boost for Bulawayo


Bulawayo Metropolitan Province’s capacity to fight the Covid-19 pandemic has been boosted by the re-opening after 20 years, of Ekusileni Medical Centre with patients now being admitted starting last week.

The hospital premises are owned by the National Social Security Authority (NSSA) and it was opened in 2000 before it closed in 2001.

Bulawayo’s acting provincial medical director, Dr Welcome Mlilo said the re-opening of the hospital was welcome and important for the city’s Covid-19 response.

“We welcome the re-opening of the hospital which admitted its first Covid-19 patients on Tuesday last week,” said Dr Mlilo.

Acting chief executive officer for the hospital Dr Absolom Dube confirmed said the institution was ready to handle more patients.

The hospital has been declared a national Covid-19 centre. The opening of the hospital will ease the pressure on other isolation centres in the city which were fast running out of bed space.

“We opened the hospital today and so far we have two Covid-19 patients that have been admitted. We have a capacity of about 70 beds but we will start by accommodating 20 patients because of limited staff and resources.

“This is just a starting point but we plan to increase our capacity to 200 beds in the near future. We have had various partners coming in to assist us with food as well as other resources,” he said.

Minister of State for Bulawayo Provincial Affairs, Judith Ncube said the opening of the hospital was a huge development not only to the province but the entire nation. She said the success was a result of collective effort from various partners.