Kenya: Amina Mohamed Promises ‘Safe, Secure’ World Under-20 Championships


Cabinet Secretary for Sports Amina Mohamed has promised a memorable World Under-20 Athletics Championships that will be Covid-19 free and secure.

Amina disclosed that besides allocating Sh332 million towards the refurbishment of the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani, the venue of the world junior event, they have increased the budget of the event from Sh1.3billion to Sh1.5 billion.

The world junior competition was postponed from July 7-12 last year to August 17-22 this year owing to Covid-19 outbreak.

Close to 2,000 athletes drawn from 160 countries are due to take part in the six-day competition that will be watched by an estimated 100 million people through live broadcast.

Amina said in a speech read on her behalf by the Chief Administrative Secretary Simon Kachapin that they shall stop at nothing to ensure the safety of athletes, officials, media and fans at the World Under-20 Championships.

“We have a winning template and are working to seal any existing gaps. 2021 will be a great sporting year for our country, “read the speech in part during the World Under-20 Championships media briefing at Serena Hotel Monday.

“We have expanded the medical team to ensure that all the emerging pandemic protocols are fully applied in order to guarantee that the event will be free and secure from Covdi-19,” said Amina.

Amina thanked World Athletics, through its president Sebastian Coe, for the confidence they have shown in Kenya’s organisational acumen.

Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters

Get the latest in African news delivered straight to your inbox